As a marketing writer, I’m inclined to avoid writing in the first person when composing a blog that pertains to a specific, professional topic, which in our case is usually food or event-based. However, today I had to break the rules when introducing this list of links, so that I could announce it proudly: I love tequila. Although it’s difficult to find the origin of this holiday, I still couldn’t pass up an opportunity to write about such a sacred day (to me).
I’ve found my drink of choice in the simplicity of a two ingredient cocktail: Tequila and lemonade. A simple concoction where the deliciousness comes from your mixer. You can’t go wrong by picking your favorite type of lemonade with your favorite brand of tequila. (If you’re feeling creative, garnish with a lemon or lime.) I discovered this drink through a friend while hanging out at Kildare’s of West Chester one night, and it’s been my go-to so often that the bartenders there know exactly what I want when I walk in on a weekend. I couldn’t tell you where they get their lemonade that makes it stand out above the rest, but my pseudo-Margarita isn’t exactly the point of this blog post, is it?
In honor of National Tequila Day, I’ve composed a list of great links to find ways to utilize tequila today and celebrate accordingly. You can drink it straight if you’re into that, or take a look at one of the lists below to find the perfect margarita or tequila-centric cocktail to celebrate the day with. If you’re hungry for something with a bit of kick, there’s a a variety of different ways to utilize tequila as an important ingredient. We even have a catering package combining a tequila and lime flavor to our fresh chicken and shrimp. Don’t feel like doing anything? I’ve got a couple of tequila bars that will most definitely be celebrating today.
1. Learn about your favorite liqour
- Read about the 10 terms every tequila drinker should know – such as how tequila is a type of mezcal (like scotch or bourbon to whiskey), the difference between blanco and joven tequila, etc. This terminology might come in handy when deciding which type of tequila you’re looking for!
- Learn about the history of the Margarita, or the history of Tequila itself!
- See why this company sells bottles of tequila for $30,000!
- Check out some additional facts about tequila and the holiday itself!
2. Make yourself the perfect Margarita
- The Telegraph’s article for today’s events shares 10 of their favorite tequila cocktails!
- Cooking Channel’s official blog has a gallery of their picks for the top 28 margarita recipes…
- …or you can check out what Liquor.com considers “the only margarita recipe you’ll need”
3. Try a new recipe with tequila as an ingredient
- Cosmopolitan has a mouth-watering list of links to great recipes using tequila.
- Check out these tips from restaurateur Alex Stupak on utilizing tequila in your cooking.
- Try our delicious Tequila Lime Chicken and Shrimp!
- Check out Mental Floss’s article about alternative uses for tequila: as a weight loss supplement, sleep aid, cold remedy & more!
4. Check out a local tequila bar around Philadelphia & Main Line!
- Tequilas Restaurant (Philadelphia) – the name speaks for itself!
- Mas Mexicali Cantina (West Chester)
- Matador (Wayne)
- Xolo Taqueria & Tequila Bar (Bryn Mawr)
- Diego’s Cantina (Media)
5. Offer to be a DD to anyone ‘celebrating’ today!
- No important bullet points to list here, but if you or someone you know is enjoying their National Tequila Day, don’t let them get behind the wheel! Your offer to withstand sobriety on a holiday as intoxicating as this can save a life. Friends don’t let friends drive drunk.
- Download Lyft or Uber for your Smartphone before an evening out, or designate a ride home with a friend or relative.
Enjoy your day, and we’ll see you in February for National Margarita Day!